Thursday, March 8, 2012

Katy Perry doesn't get Demographics

Katy Perry's song, "The One That Got Away" the latest song I keep hearing in public whether I like it or not.  Fortunately, it's not quite catchy enough to stick in my head.  But unfortunately, one annoying and puzzling line is stuck in my head.  That line is, "We make out in your Mustang to Radiohead."  You might think I'd be questioning whether Katy Perry (or whoever wrote the song) knows who Radiohead is.  But no, I find that musicians often have surprising musical tastes, I can buy that.  If anything, the only surprising part is that Perry (or whoever runs her career) assumes that her fans know who Radiohead is.

What I'm really wondering is: has anyone ever made out in a Mustang to Radiohead?  That seems to be a rather rare intersection of cultures.  I'm about as close as anyone is going to be: fan of Radiohead, car guy who would choose the Mustang over the Camaro.  But I don't actually own a Mustang, nor have I made out in any car to Radiohead.  And as you've perhaps sensed, being a person strange enough to mix the "Mustang" and "Radiohead" aspects of the scene means that the "make out" part becomes significantly less likely.

But the second mystery is: whether it's in a Mustang, or another car, or anywhere else, what Radiohead song would people make out to?  Sure, "Paranoid Android" is long enough to have an entire relationship.  Or maybe "Fake Plastic Trees," as long as you don't listen to the lyrics.  So now the cultural coincidence is: Mustang fan, Radiohead fan, and turned on by unstructured expressions of ennui.  There can't be many people like that, but they are out there, and they're probably going to find this page when Googling their odd obsessions.  Hi guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment