Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Limits of My Tolerance

It's not often that I'm conscious of the moment something becomes annoying.  There are a lot of things in our world that are overdone and overused, but started out as good ideas.  If you're my age or older, you may remember the first time you saw a minivan.  What a great idea: a van (which, as of the early eighties, was still inherently cool) but for families.  Then one day years later, you're looking for a parking spot at Wal-mart, find yourself cursing an entire row of spots all taken by minivans, and you realise that at some point you learned to hate them.


I just noticed that the same thing happened to me with Stan Lee cameos.  It used to be fun, you felt like you were in on a subcultural connection if you recognised him in one of the X-Men movies.  But watching the latest Dr. Pepper ad, I groaned internally at their chummy attempted in-joke.  Maybe the concept has been done to death, maybe Comics Culture has gone too mainstream to have inside jokes, or maybe it's just the fact that a months-ahead tie-in commercial.

On the other hand, I know exactly where I was when I got tired of those child-drawing family stickers in the back windows of cars, SUVs, and the aforementioned minivans.  Just a few days ago they seemed cute, but then, as I walked through a mall parking lot, I saw one, something snapped in my mind, and they just started getting on my nerves.  They're as boastful as the "Baby on Board" signs from the eighties, but without even the pretence of having a useful purpose.  They've also been hurt by the lack of variation: Usually a trend that lasts this long gets spoofed.  You'd think that by now, bored children in the back seat would find a way to combine the family stickers with one of the Calvin peeing stickers you see in the back of pick-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment