Monday, August 13, 2012

The Accidental Tourist

Even before getting a cell phone, I'd heard all kinds of horror stories about the odd things auto correct features can insert into messages.  I assumed they were exaggerations or extreme examples.  But now that I'm experiencing it myself, I am truly amazed at just how bad it is.  The suggestions it gives for partially complete words are bizarre.  For instance, when I just misspelled "bizarre" as "bizzare," it offered "blizzard" as a suggestion.  When I moved on to the next word, it automatically changed it to "biz are." I had to experiment with the spelling on my own to get it right.

But nothing can compare to what I experienced while typing the previous blog entry.  I was typing quickly, so I didn't see which keys I actually hit.  But when I looked back over the sentence I just typed, in the spot where I was expecting to see the word "and," I instead saw the word "Zhengzhou," a city in Eastern China.

No comments:

Post a Comment