Monday, April 29, 2013

Coach Is Cornered

As I've mentioned in the past, I use Twitter to alert me to pop-cultural happenings that I would otherwise miss.  Another good example was last night, when the Canadian Tweeters I follow were all, um, atwitter, with talk of Don Cherry having said something controversial.

If you're not Canadian, I'm not sure I can explain Don Cherry to you.  I can tell you he's a former hockey coach who has become phenomenally popular doing analysis during the first intermission of national hockey telecasts.  But that hardly describes him.  I'd sum him up as the exact opposite of every stereotype the world has about Canadians, except of course, love of hockey.

(As an aside, every time I type "Don Cherry" the auto correct changes it to "Don't Cherry")

Anyway, most of the Tweets were non-specific comments of amusement or anger, so it took me a while to find out what he actually said.  And yet, in order to write this post, it doesn't really matter.  Heck, I could just reuse this post the next time he says something controversial - and there will be a next time - because we all know the Don Cherry Controversy cycle: (Americans, you may find it easier to follow this if you substitute in the name "Rush Limbaugh")
  • Cherry says something controversial
  • Everyone condemns him, calls for his firing
  • Cherry lays low for a while, doesn't say anything that would call attention to himself.
  • Everyone forgets why they were angry at him and go back to thinking of him as a beloved but slightly annoying uncle.
  • Goto step one

Look, I'm not defending him, or saying you have to accept what he says - I hate him as much as anyone.  I'm just sick of Canada's hypocrisy towards him; lots of people will get angry now, then go back to treating him like the god of hockey three months from now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment