Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Toronto The Not-That-Bad-Actually

I gave up on Toronto in the early 2000's.  First there was SARS, in which the city seemed to freak over its tourism business, with little concern for the actual people dying.  What do you do after something kills 44 people in your city?  Hold a concert to celebrate!  On the other hand, journalists comparing it to 9/11 didn't help.

But the final straw was the big blackout later that same year.  You may remember Mayor Mel Lastman requesting that Toronto get priority as Ontario's weakened power grid was turned back on and rolling blackouts were a possibility; his reasoning being that the province depends on Toronto as it's economic engine. 

I didn't think much of this; in hindsight I would describe Lastman as being like Rob Ford but without the intellect.  But I was truly shocked when the Toronto Star ran an editorial endorsing his request.  I wrote them a letter to the editor pointing out that by that reasoning, we in Canada should give priority to the U.S. in the power grid restart, since we depend on their economy.  They didn't print it.  With all parts of Toronto's political spectrum apparently united in the idea that they were above the rest of the province, I declared the city (outside of its sports franchises) dead to me.

So this week, as Toronto suffered a freak flood, I was expecting more of the same attitude.  I braced for ridiculous comparisons to the larger Calgary flood or demands that we in the rest of the province donate our electricity and water to areas where the Toronto utilities were shut down.  But I have to admit, I've been pleasantly surprised.  Not only has none of that happened, but I keep seeing and hearing Torontonians humbly pointing out that they realize how fortunate they still are given the hardships of Calgary and Lac-Mégantic.  Even Mayor Ford seems to have acquired an extra seriousness for this issue.  So congratulations, Toronto, you are back in my good books.  I will visit again as soon as I can afford your parking.

No comments:

Post a Comment