Monday, September 30, 2013

Fixing Good

Yes, I've been complaining about how everyone was talking about the Breaking Bad finale.  I already pointed out previously that many critically-acclaimed cable shows get minuscule ratings, yet people talk about them as though everyone is watching.  This reached extremes in the last week, when it seemed like I couldn't go on the Internet without seeing countdowns or wild speculation about the show.  And sure enough, the ratings are in and 10.3 million people watched the final episode.  That's huge for Breaking Bad, but less than one-in-thirty Americans.

Some of it is surely Emperor's New Clothes.  I just saw a talking head on CBC introduce a segment on the show by calling it the show "everyone is talking about" then went on to admit that he's never seen it.

But I suppose there's another way of looking at it.  If only some people care about the show, and most of the people I listen to on the net are among them, that that should tell me that I should be watching it too.  So, everyone I follow on Twitter or read in blogs, why didn't you make a big deal over this show earlier?  I could have hopped on the bandwagon earlier if you'd started talking incessantly about it by, say, season two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment